BANG’s private lessons take place in our gorgeous midtown studios and are completely tailored to each individual student’s needs and goals.
That’s why the first lesson with any student begins with some discussion. Your instructor will ask you a bunch of questions about: your experience on drums or other musical instruments (it’s OK if you have NO experience); your musical tastes and interests and your goals with music and drumming (want to be a pro drummer? just kicking it around? increase your general facility as a weekend warrior musician? you’re a pro but have this nagging bad habit you need to fix?)
This talk will help us create a practice plan that will get you moving towards your specific goals. If you want to be a rock drummer, we’ll go directly towards that goal–we won’t insist you spend your time working on jazz independence just because we like jazz. We believe in focus. Since most of us have limited time, focus allows more progress towards specific goals in a shorter time.
Your first chat with your instructor could be as simple as: “Hey, teach me how to play drums!!” And that’s cool too…we know exactly how to do that!
But if you want more specifics, some of the common things we help our students with are:
- practice methodology and practice priorities (we believe in eliminating weaknesses until there are none)
- hand technique
- foot technique
- reading musical notation
- independence (the ability to maintain a steady rhythmic pattern with one or more limbs while simutaneously executing varying patterns with another limb or limbs)
- learning songs to increase facility in specific styles
- developing a vocabulary of fills appropriate to the style of music you play
- learning from the masters : how to “steal” great ideas from the great drummers who preceed you (all great musicians are “thieves” in this way)
- integration of the bass drum into rhythmic patterns: ie developing facility with hand foot combinations for fills or solos
- soloing concepts and vocabulary
- the mental game of drumming
- preparation for auditons
- playing with a metronome/click track
- using rudiments on the drum set
- left (hi-hat foot) independence
- double bass drum technique
- brush technique
- linear drumming
Let’s Get Started
So, you’re ready to go for it, right? You’ve been wanting to play drums, so let’s get started. Just click on the appropriate “Buy Now” button below to buy any number of 45 minute private lessons you wish. We start discounting our pricing with the purchase of a 5 Pak and give you an even bigger discount when you buy an 11 Pak…Not ready to do that? Call us at 646-678-8970 or email us at email@example.com to talk or schedule a visit to the school!