The attached PDF will give you three great examples of serious groove playing in 9/8.
- Matt Cameron from Soundgarden’s track “Black Rain”
- Bill Bruford from his own “Fainting In Coils”
- John Bonham from Led Zep’s “The Crunge”
All three examples show what happens when the drummer lets the music dictate the groove. The most musical approach to grooving in odd times is just that–find a way to make it have a pocket. The way to do that is to let the riff show you the way.
In each case here, if you listen to the track, you’ll understand what I mean. The guitar and bass play a very rhythmic riff, and the drummer just jumps onboard.
Here’s the PDF: Rock Grooves In 9/8
Latest posts by Mark Feldman (see all)
- Beginner Drummers Discussion Forum - February 14, 2022
- The Gift - December 30, 2021
- The Rock Drumming Six: A Simple and Solid Drum Fill Idea - December 25, 2021
Leave a Reply